Monday, December 22, 2008

And no that is not vomit!

I mentioned that I LOVE fruit cake but not just any fruit cake it has to be my mom's. Last Christmas she sent me home with my own start. To make this fruit cake you have to have a start to candy your fruit. I was so excited! My mom has made this since I was a little girl and my mom got the recipe from my grandma, so it's kind of a tradition. I have never helped my mom make this cake for even watched her it would just magically appear every Christmas. Well I started to candy my fruit back in October and this weekend I made my first fruit cake. And this is what happened...


It is not suppose to look like vomit!

I followed the recipe that I copied from my mom but she forgot to mention that she actually cooks hers for an hour and 45 min. not the hour and 15 min that it said on the recipe. Luckily she gave me a start for two cakes. I won't make that mistake again. The next cake turned out fabulous!!


Pour yourself a nice hot cup of hot chocolate and enjoy!
Oh wait, you can't it's already all gone!! and yes it was so yummy!

I know have starts to make 4 cakes I can't wait until next year...

3 comments:

Darilyn said...

This is fascinating to me. I have never heard of a "start" for fruit cake. And I agree about fruitcake. Those that don't like it usually have not had a fresh homemade one. They are yummy. That looks delish!

mahina said...

not a fruit cake fan! and that first picture confirmed my dislike for it!

but maybe darilyn is right. if i was still in oregon maybe you could have turned me on to your fruitcake!

ciara said...

Vomit, fruitcake, really is there a difference? I never knew. Hey to each their own.